Thursday, September 15, 2011

papa




today while listening to dolly parton on pandora, the judd's "grandpa" came on the radio. it is impossible for my eyes to not swell up every time i hear this song. it always makes me think about my papa. this song was played during his funeral and i remember watching my nanny and the tears wouldn't stop. i miss my papa every day more and more. although his name was george, everybody called him "buddy" which seemed so fitting. it seems so unfair that sometimes we lose our grandparents before we've fully matured enough to make sure we are taking in every word, every story, every hug, and every smile. my papa was the rock of our family and he took care of everyone. there were so many faces at his funeral because he was loved so fully. one of my favorite thoughts of my papa is that he once told my mother that every time he'd ask me how i was, i would respond and then ask him how he was doing and that every time he could tell that i really cared about how he was doing. apparently my papa thought it was rare that people asked how someone was in return and truly cared about the response. i hope my papa know how much i cared about him and loved him.

if you still have your grandfather, take some time to call or visit and ask questions, because one day you'll wish you could have soaked every story, kiss, and memory up! maybe this song will inspire you too. ♥




my nanny and papa are the cutest couple aren't they? even though she hated him at first, he was persistent and he got the girl - they were married for 50 years before he passed on. i miss you so much papa and i think of you every day. there is solace in knowing that you and nanny are together, again. ♥

"a grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart" - unknown

1 comment:

  1. my grandparents were married for over 50 years too before my grandpa passed. its so hard to see my grandmother without her husband at her side :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...